This year is our third year donating transportation services to Wreaths Across America to help deliver more than 100,000 wreaths to Arlington National Cemetery in December. This year, in order to help honor more fallen New England heroes at Arlington National Cemetery on Wreaths Across America Day (Dec. 14, 2013), we are establishing the Oakhurst Veterans Remembrance Wreath Memorial initiative.
We plan to donate up to 50 Maine-made wreaths through Wreaths Across America and transport them along with the thousands of wreaths we will carry in our truck to Arlington National Cemetery. Several Oakhurst employees will personally place each of the 50 wreaths for the selected New England families. A photograph of the wreaths on each headstone will be taken and posted on Oakhurst’s special tribute webpage soon after.
Our Vice President and Chief Information Officer Paul Connolly is passionate about the Wreaths Across America mission and attends the Arlington National Cemetery ceremony each year. He encouraged us to add another component to our annual sponsorship and developed the company’s new Veterans Remembrance Wreath Memorial effort. He had this to say: “It is exciting to sponsor and have our employees personally lay up to 50 wreaths for our New England families. I have had the opportunity to help place wreaths the last two years and that is truly a moving experience. Placing wreaths at the request of our New England families will be a very special honor and privilege.”
How to Make a Request
- Complete the placement request form before December 3, 2013.
- Provide as much information as possible about the loved one to help us identify and locate the headstone site at Arlington.
- Provide details about the veteran (and a photo if you would like) so we can develop a summary for the tribute webpage.
- We will review and finalize all wreath requests to make sure it has the information it needs to locate the sites and complete each request in a respectful and dignified manner.
- All families will be notified of the status of their request soon after.
- Because of the size of Arlington National Cemetery, we can only sponsor up to 50 wreaths this year.
We hope this is a way to help those that cannot make the trip each year connect with the memory of their veteran that rests so far away from New England.
The wreath-laying effort began in 1992 when Morrill Worcester of Worcester Wreath Company in Harrington, Maine, donated 5,000 evergreen wreaths to Arlington National Cemetery. In 2007, the Worcester Family founded the non-profit organization, Wreaths Across America. Today, the annual weeklong pilgrimage from Maine to Arlington National Cemetery is known as the world’s largest veterans parade. Wreaths Across America expects to place more than 100,000 wreaths at Arlington, distribute wreaths to more than 800 locations across the United States, including 35 veterans cemeteries in Maine and New Hampshire, and overseas for ceremonies to honor America’s fallen soldiers and their families on National Wreaths Across America Day. In total, nearly 400,000 wreaths will be delivered.
Individual wreath sponsorships are $15. To sponsor a wreath or make a donation visit www.waastore.com.